In 1911, just as Detroit was exploding into one of the largest and most successful industrial cities in the US, The Garden Club of Michigan (GCM) was founded with fifty members from nine cities in Michigan.
Comprised of some of the most prominent and influential women in the area, their aim was to stimulate the knowledge and love of gardening and to protect the quality of the environment through educational programs and action in the fields of conservation and civic improvement.
More than just arm-chair enthusiasts, these dynamic women understood the importance and relevance of horticulture and were true environmentalists before the term had even been invented. Their legacy of conservation, education and civic beautification has always been – and still is – at the core of GCM.
For over 100 years, GCM has been involved with many important projects and initiatives of all kinds. And like the original founders, our current members are just as dedicated to promoting the importance of gardening and horticulture here in the Detroit area and beyond.